Sunday, February 6, 2011

Current Location - Rural Illinois

So I may not be in India anymore, but I'm sure some lonely soul is wondering what I've been up to since my return. Well, I've been living in cornfields - which you can't even "admire" right now because of all the white stuff that has hit. Now you may be wondering why I don't say snow - well that's because its been a combination of snow, ice, sleet, hail and all that jazz that makes up what the weather forecasters call a "wintry mix". Enough of that, geographically though, you can find me finishing my last semester up at the University of Illinois in good ole Chambana - for those of you who are not Illini that would be Champaign-Urbana in Central Illinois.

Last weekend though, you wouldn't of found me there, rather you would of found me in Port Byron, Illinois - right on the Mississippi River in a biker bar by the name of Jammerz. Oh yeah your typical biker bar with a pool table, the local characters of the town, and a juke box.

So even though I was still in Illinois I felt that I had entered into another world - reason this story deserves to be told on my blog. So there I am with my family and my sister's fiance's family and their friends. So there I am playing pool (which I use to be good at and still have the potential to be I just need to get around to shooting more) and thus far all of my opponents have been people I know, but then the biggest character in the place puts his quarters down and calls the winner. Well, I lost to my dad, but my dad didn't want to play this guy so I got to. What a jokester. This guy was a good 300 lbs. and toothless. To make it better, I later found out that he pumps poop - septic tank worker - for a living. Yes, the epitome of a rural plumber. So there he is trying to show off to me and just really making me mad - so what do I do? I beat him - and it felt great - wiped that smirk right off his face.

So beaten a local at the biker bar and then driving out onto a frozen lake in a huge truck (mind you the lake that I go tubing on in the summer so I am freaking out the whole time afraid that we are going to crack the ice and sink) summed up my evening in rural Illinois.

This wasn't my first time to Jammerz and it wasn't going to be my last -- why you may ask? because every time I go there I come out of there with a great story.

No comments:

Post a Comment