January 1st
With it being the New Year we got a slow start to the day, but a few good outings made it worth it all. The morning started with probably the longest and biggest Bananagrams game I have ever played (once again I am sure glad I brought it on the trip – thanks to the big sis for getting it for me for Christmas). My favorite spot of the day was the embroidery shop that we went to since the city of Lucknow is famous for the Chikan style of hand-stitched embroidery. I was overwhelmed by the craftsmanship and all of the color options. With the help of one of the employees and trying on a longer shirt/dress that was a bust I decided on a deep purple short shirt that I absolutely love. It requires a hand-washing prior to wearing though since it is a bit on the rough side, but nothing that a little soap and water can’t fix. The added bonus, a small embroidery gift was given to all of us who went – score! One part of globalization that we got to see at its finest was that of cuisine and the spread of it, specifically through restaurants. Being in India we have to be pretty careful of what we consume (no tap water – down to brushing teeth with bottled water and definitely no food from the street vendors) so our professor (who we have come to nickname M2 ) decided that Pizza Hut would be a safe bet. Now, I’m not too keen on the place and speaking honestly couldn’t tell you the last time I had it, but how bad could it be, right? Well, it actually was a success because we didn’t just get the traditional American flavors, but rather got a Chicken Tikka pizza and a Paneer Pizza (both Indian influenced) and both of them had a Tandoor sauce – something I have a complete obsession with – yum!! Needless to say it was a memorable lunch and even though the company was started in America it has achieved great success abroad. Not to mention that American fast-food (to include McDonald’s) are viewed as places of privilege – blows my mind (it was the same case in Italy and Turkey – but nonetheless I’m not a die hard for the Golden Arches and I just don’t think I ever will be). We ended the day with a bit of religion. We first located St. Joseph’s Cathedral (Roman Catholic) since some of the group (including myself) was interested in attending Mass. After figuring out the details for Mass (the next day was Sunday) we headed on over to a Temple which was a complete opposite site from that of the Cathedral and not in the obvious sense that they were two different buildings but rather that the Cathedral and area in front of it was pretty loud (and the Church was decked out with serious New Year’s decorations) while the Temple was more sanctioned off and quiet. At the end of it all we got a nice sweet treat from the Temple – and who can complain about that – our second gift of the day. All in all, the first day of 2011 was a success.
No comments:
Post a Comment