January 6th
Today was a packed jam shut type of day. We started off by going to a temple and then got a personal tour of the center through which the order is able to remain self sufficient. We got to see everything from how they process honey and then test its quality to the stables where they hold the cows and their calves. It was quite the experience to see how each of the brothers who come to the order find their specialty within the center and help contribute to its continuation and well being – fascinating. Afterwards we headed over to a Science Museum where we checked out stations related to physics and why things are the way that they are – everything from a head on a plate to swing pendulums – it brought out the inner kid in all of us. However, similar to the State Museum that we had visited the day before, there were not that many visitors, whereas in the states it would have been a lot more crowded. Afterwards we headed over to the Tribal Art Museum where unfortunately there was a power outage so there was a little bit of a change in the plan. After being welcomed with flower necklaces and forehead blessings we were taken out to a native village market (Bero) and then to a Tribal Village. This has been one of my favorite things on the trip because we really got to experience the rural side of India. We got extremely lucky with the market because it only happens once a week – we blazed through it, but I still feel that I got to see a part of India that I may never have the chance again to see. One of the coolest things we saw was the making of rice and how they scoop the rice out of a big pot and put it into a basket so that the excess water drains off. When we got to the village it was meal time and the whole village was had gathered around the kitchen area where the rice was being prepared. I think we were told that there were 25 families in the village. For me it is just amazing how people live so simply and comfortably. One of the men we talked to had gotten his higher education and was the chief police inspector, but he still found the importance of returning to his village – his upbringing and most importantly his roots. He came from the perspective of anything is possible – kind of the American Dream ideology but being told from an Indian. This could be viewed as transference between countries – where it originally was started I don’t know, but interconnectedness on the smallest scopes are some of the strongest evidence of globalization. One of my favorite moments was when the group went with some of the local village people to watch the sunset. When standing there taking pictures and there were three little boys looking on, I thought they would enjoy taking a picture with my camera – even though there was a language barrier, actions accomplished the task and thus I have pictures on my camera that were taken by the boys – I will never forget that.
January 7th
The biggest happening of the day – I saw an animal sacrifice at a temple and was nowhere near prepared to witness such an act. During our 3 hour bus ride to Jamshedpur to see the Tata Steel Factory (the initiator of industrialization in India) we stopped at two temples along the way. The first had interesting architecture with 7 huge horses in front of it – one for each day of the week, but it was the second temple that was the showstopper of the day. When we pulled up to the temple I vaguely heard our professor tell us that animal sacrifices still take place at it – but with headphones in I didn’t catch all. Walking into the temple after taking of my shoes I started thinking to myself why everything around me sounded so intense – from beating of drums to people staring in one direction to the lonely bahhing of a goat – and then as soon as I turned my head I saw a massive sharp machete type object come down over this goat’s head resulting in blood everywhere. That was gruesome enough to watch, but then to see that the goat was still moving – and for a good three minutes after having its head chopped off was just disturbing. I was in absolute shock – and it didn’t help that the stray dogs were lapping at the blood that had spewed out of the sacrificed goat. That was some serious timing if you ask me. Unbelievable – this write up doesn’t even graze the surface of the sight – ask me to tell you in person if I cross paths with you. Later in the day when some men were asking us comparison questions between the US and India and asked about the animal sacrifice they seemed shocked that they don’t happen in the US – maybe as shocked as we were to witness it. That is one thing I didn’t think I would see while on my adventure – you just have to take the unexpected for what it is. For dinner we dined in true fashion with one of the best meals we have had since we have been here – it was delectable and just thinking about it makes my mouth water. Yum.
January 8th
Today after breakfast we checked out the biological sanctuary where we got to see tigers, elephants, hippos and tons of other animals – also where I took possibly a bit too many photos, but oh well. Everyone loved it from what I grasped and we were glad it got to be included in our last day in Ranchi. While there we were stopped by an entire school that was taking a field trip so that they could get their picture taken with us – something that I am still getting used to. Afterwards we got lunch and then set out on a two hour bus ride to what was pretty much the middle of nowhere – but with significance. We arrived on site of where The Raja (a nickname meaning the king) had dedicated his entire life to increasing the agriculture gain from the barren land surrounding his village. It was quite fascinating to see what was there – hard to picture what it looked like before, but based off of that the land now yields two crops (wheat and rice) instead of none seems enough proof in itself. As dark started to set so did craziness. While some of us were taking nature pees we were startled with booming music. Mind you we were out in the middle of absolutely nowhere – no roads or lights in sight and yet music was being blasted. Turns out a group of teenagers had gathered after drinking and were starting their night off with a bit of dancing. After scurrying past we went and found our bus. Once there our pictures started getting taken again and another girl on the trip – Lauren and I were held back where we started getting our pictures with the King – we weren’t really sure what was going on, but at this point we were as used to the picture taking as we possibly could be. Seeing the rural side of India via Ranchi was an experience because it definitely differed from that of the urban India that we experienced in Lucknow. One thing that I was definitely grateful for was the somewhat cleaner air in Ranchi (although whenever I blow my nose it’s still black – bizarre, but I guess that just encapsulates how much dirtier the air is here than back at home). One of the downfalls of globalization is that with the increase in technology and the increase in consumption there are greater environmental problems that need to be combated and one of those being garbage is extremely prevalent in India – but I guess the US has just as much in landfills instead of in public space.
January 9th
I woke up this morning around 7 and decided to go and take some time for myself over in the clubhouse. While working on some grad school applications a man came up to me with a newspaper and said “this is you I think” and sure enough there was a picture of myself and Lauren with our picture with the Raja – the King who we had met the previous day. This isn’t the first time that we have ended up in the newspaper, but it is just crazy to think that we make news in Ranchi with our arrival and our activities, but in the US the same wouldn’t occur. I’ll have to get a translation on the article since it is all in Hindi but I’m sure that won’t be a problem. Upon arrival in Delhi at our new digs a group of us decided to hit the streets. Everything went fine, until we started to head back and a group of 5 kids started to tug at us for money or food – heartbroken I caved in and we ran across the street where we bought bananas for them for less than 50 cents – a little to me but a lot for both the kids and the banana man. In addition I am still getting use to the dollar to rupee conversion but hopefully after a bit of bazaar and street market shopping that will be fixed. Big day tomorrow so off to get some shut eye.
First of all, it's super weird to hear about what you did on the 9th when the 9th is still happening here...& woo hoo Natalie is famous in India! Getting your picture taken with the King and making the paper :)
ReplyDeletehaha I know - whenever I talk to people online I am confused since im a half day ahead! im super excited to tell your stories in person (:
ReplyDelete